CONTINUOUS PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT / CPD
Once a plumber has registered or renewed their designation with the PIRB, they will be placed in a 12-month cycle in which they need to accumulate a certain amount of credits to remain a Licensed Plumber. Each plumber’s cycle runs from the date of registration or renewal for 12 months, therefore it is important to keep up with the accumulation of CPD credits in a cycle as well as keep in mind when the expiry/renewal date occurs. Each designation has to renew with the PIRB annually.
WHY DO WE NEED TO ACCUMULATE CPD CREDITS?
Continuous professional development is important because it ensures you continue to be competent in your profession. Plumbers are regarded as professional tradespeople and an integral part of any society’s well-being. Without plumbing, disease would spread at a rapid rate and cause a global crisis. Water is a basic human right and plumbing goes hand in hand with that right. Plumbers have to take pride in their profession but they should also acknowledge how important they are to not only their communities but the environment. As the PIRB is a recognised SAQA professional body, it is a compulsory requirement that a CPD program be administered and adhered to by the PIRB registered plumbers.
The ultimate outcome of well planned continuous professional development is that it safeguards the public, the employer, the professional and the professional’s career.
BENEFITS OF CPD:
- CPD ensures your capabilities remain relevant and comply with the current standards of others in the same field
- CPD ensures that you maintain and enhance the knowledge and skills you need to deliver a professional service to your customers, clients and the community
- CPD ensures that you and your knowledge stay relevant and up to date. You are more aware of the changing trends and directions in your profession. If you stand still you will get left behind, as the currency of your knowledge and skills becomes out-dated
- CPD helps you continue to make a meaningful contribution to your team. You become more effective in the workplace. This assists you to advance in your career and move into new positions where you can lead, manage, influence, coach and mentor others
- Focused CPD opens you up to new possibilities, new knowledge and new skilled areas
- CPD can deliver a deeper understanding of what it means to be a professional, along with a greater appreciation of the implications and impacts of your work
- CPD helps advance the content of knowledge and technology within your profession
- CPD can lead to increased public confidence in individual plumbers and the plumbing industry as a whole
- CPD contributes to improved protection and quality of life, the environment, sustainability, property and the economy
The importance of continuing professional development should not be underestimated – it is a career-long obligation for practicing professionals.
It is the core personal responsibility of plumbing professionals to keep their knowledge and skills current so that they can deliver the high quality of service that safeguards the public and meets the expectations of customers and the requirements of their profession. Well crafted and delivered continuing professional development is important because it delivers benefits to the individual, their profession, environment and the public.