Written by Eamonn Ryan
By using a qualified and trained plumber – one registered with the Plumbing Industry Registration Board (PIRB), and a member of the Institute of Plumbing South Africa (IOPSA) – you can ensure that you will receive workmanship of the very highest standard, and also that all work will be backed up by the industry itself through its audited Certificate of Compliance system.
Plumbers provide important services that keep plumbing systems functional and protect the safety of your home. Plumbers are trained to know how to make necessary repairs and diagnose problems with your plumbing system. This is so that problems can be addressed before they lead to serious health or comfort issues. When you hire a PIRB-registered plumber, you can trust that they will have the expertise and equipment to resolve any issues with your plumbing system and get the job done correctly.
On the other hand – not using a professional for all your plumbing maintenance services means that you could be putting your home and your family at risk..
The following are the major reasons to avoid unqualified ‘plumbers’/handymen:
- There is no way to tell or prove that an unqualified ‘plumber’ has completed the same training and requirements as a licensed plumber
- Hiring an unlicensed plumber could end you up with legal trouble. Of course, it is not illegal to hire an unlicensed plumber and there are legal procedures in place to deal with fraudulent or deceptive businesses. However, should there subsequently be a problem related to the work, going through the legal process will cost you time and money, whereas IOPSA has a free process for dealing with complaints. Hiring a licensed plumber will help you avoid this mess
- An unlicensed plumber can put your health and your property at risk with faulty services. Bad plumbing services can result in property damage as well as injury, illness, or death
- Unlicensed plumbers are not obligated to report to a regulatory board like the PIRB or IOPSA. Therefore, it increases the potential for you to be scammed or become the victim of unethical behavior
- Inexperienced or undertrained amateurs should not be involved in complicated and dangerous work such as gas geyser installations. Saving any amount of money is simply not worth risking potential damage to your house or your health.
Ultimately, by hiring a licensed plumber, you are appointing a well-trained and qualified professional who cares about your health and safety.