What is a Plumbing Certificate of Compliance (C.O.C)?
The Plumbing Industry registration Board CoC is a system and process whereby a licensed plumbing practitioner will self-certify their plumbing work by issuing of a plumbing certificate of compliance to the relevant owner, municipality, local authority and/or insurance company. Through the process the licensed plumber shall take ownership for their plumbing work and be held accountable for the said works.
Plumbing Certificates of Compliance are issued by licensed plumbers to certify that their plumbing work complies with all regulatory installations requirements.
A plumbing certificate of compliance will be issued for most plumbing work, including: SANS 10254 – COC now Compulsory
- Where the total value of work, including materials, labour and VAT, is more than R1500.00 (material costs must be included, regardless of whether the materials were supplied by another person)
- The installation, repair or replacement of any Electric Water Heating System, regardless of the cost
- For every separate installation on a site.
- The construction, installation or alteration of any above or below ground sanitary drain; regardless of the cost
- The installation, repair or replacement of any Hot Water Solar Water Heating System
- The installation, repair or replacement of any Heat Pump Water Heating System
- A Plumbing certificate of compliance shall be issued to the relevant owner with five working days of the completion of the said plumbing works. Only a licensed plumber may purchase and issue compliance certificates.
SANS 10400 A18 also states that no person shall perform the trade of plumbing unless he/she is a trained plumber or works under the adequate control of a trained plumber or approved competent person.
Registered persons under the category of qualified plumbers are qualified plumbers and may carry out plumbing works and may supervise non-qualified plumbers or plumbing learners, however they will not be allowed to purchase or issue Plumbing Certificate Compliance for plumbing installations.
Plumbers are also reminded that when signing the PIRB Registration Form, the ACKNOWLEDGEMENT section subsequently reads:
“I acknowledge that if I register for the designation of a Licensed/Qualified Plumber including any specialisations, I shall agree to issue a PIRB Plumbing Certificate of Compliance (COC) on all plumbing works undertaken as a PIRB Licensed Plumber.”