What is a Plumbing Certificate of Compliance (C.O.C)?
The Plumbing Industry registration Board CoC is a system and process whereby a licensed plumbing practitioner will self-certify their plumbing work by issuing of a plumbing certificate of compliance to the relevant owner, municipality, local authority and/or insurance company. Through the process the licensed plumber shall take ownership for their plumbing work and be held accountable for the said works.
Plumbing Certificates of Compliance are issued by licensed plumbers to certify that their plumbing work complies with all regulatory installations requirements.
A plumbing certificate of compliance will be issued for most plumbing work, including:
- Where the total value of work, including materials, labour and VAT, is more than R1500.00 (material costs must be included, regardless of whether the materials were supplied by another person)
- The installation, relocation or replacement of any Electric Water Heating System, regardless of the cost
- For every separate installation on a site.
- The construction, installation or alteration of any above or below ground sanitary drain; regardless of the cost
- The installation, relocation or replacement of any Hot Water Solar Water Heating System
- The installation, relocation or replacement of any Heat Pump Water Heating System
- A Plumbing certificate of compliance shall be issued to the relevant owner with five working days of the completion of the said plumbing works. Only a licensed plumber may purchase and issue compliance certificates.
It is illegal for any person who works on plumbing installation if he/she is not a qualified plumber or not working under the adequate supervision of a qualified plumber. Registered persons under the category of qualified plumbers are qualified plumbers and may carry out plumbing works and may supervise non-qualified plumbers or plumbing learners, however they will not be allowed to purchase or issue Plumbing Certificate Compliance for plumbing installations.