Plumbing Certificates of Compliance are issued by licensed plumbers to certify that their plumbing work complies with all regulatory installation requirements and standards.
A plumbing certificate of compliance will be issued for most plumbing work, including:
- Where the total value of work, including materials, labour and VAT, is more than R1 500.00 (material costs must be included, regardless of whether the materials were supplied by another person)
- The installation, relocation or replacement of any Electric Water Heating System, regardless of the cost
- For every separate installation on a site
- The construction, installation or alteration of any above or below ground sanitary drain; regardless of the cost
- The installation, relocation or replacement of any Hot Water Solar Water Heating System
- The installation, relocation or replacement of any Heat Pump Water Heating System
A Plumbing certificate of compliance shall be issued to the relevant owner with five working days of the completion of the said plumbing works. Only a licensed plumber may purchase and issue compliance certificates.
It is illegal for any person who works on plumbing installation if he/she is not a qualified plumber or not working under the adequate supervision of a qualified plumber.
Important considerations to be taken not of:
- Once a plumber signs off a CoC, the plumber is taking responsibility for the CoC and the respective plumbing work recorded on the CoC
- Electronic CoC orders will not be processed without adequate proof of payment. The order number for the CoC’s must be referenced before the CoC’s can be made available
- Licensed Plumbers that carry out Insurance Replacements must ensure that the client receives a copy of the CoC
- A CoC is a legal document, therefore if you make changes or corrections on the paper CoC, initials are required next to the changes or corrections
- A CoC must be issued to the home owner, in instances where the Insurance Company wants the original, the home owner should then receive a copy of the CoC
- All sites must be physically inspected by the plumber signing the CoC in order for it to be issued
Plumbers will be suspended if:
- A CoC has been issued without a site inspection
- A CoC for solar or heat pumps are issued by plumbers not registered to do so
References (Click on the headings below for more information):